- Care about things. Show it. Be funny, barbed, and pointed when needed. Slick is easy; don’t be slick.
- Confidence and arrogance will both protect you when people yell at you. One is vital and one is poisonous.
- Learn to be your own devil’s advocate. Interrogate your own arguments. Interrogate your point of view.
- Successful writers can play loud and soft and can make a variety of harsh and gentle sounds, just like great musicians.
- Look at the people whose careers you admire and think about their paths. Don’t assume you want the fast lane.
- If you are read widely, you will get blowback, no matter what. Don’t let it paralyze you, but don’t reflexively blow it off.
- If you try to make your fortune creating controversy, then even if it works, you’ll be expected to keep doing it.
- Being young doesn’t make you dumb or smart, important or irrelevant. But you’ll be a different writer in 20 years.
- “Win 20 in the show, you can let the fungus grow back and the press’ll think you’re colorful.” Obey deadlines and house style.
- You are entitled to be wrong, to feel embarrassed, to feel like a jerk, and to keep writing anyway.
[as told by NPR’s Linda Holmes]
Dovetails quite nicely with Ann Powers’ guide to writing about music.
Got a Girl Crush On: Archival photographs of women’s athletics from the University of Chicago
While The Archival Photographic Files of the University of Chicago offer an intriguing, general overview of the college campus in development, we couldn’t help but linger specifically over the section on women’s athletics. More than a just-for-fun slice of “now and then”-style Americana, the images are a reminder that women who defy stereotypes in order to pursue their passions are, more often than not, exactly like you and me: everyday ladies simply doing their thing. And we think that is really, really cool.
That’s my school, bitches!
gift ideas: A 52 card deck of $10 gift cards to chef-driven / owner-operated chicago restaurants. dinner inspiration for 2012, all year round.
[$30 via alacardchicago.com]
I owned one of these for 2010 and let me tell you. You easily get your money’s worth.
GREAT gift for foodies or if you want, break up the cards and slip them in a few Christmas cards for several different people. This is a great gift especially for couples. Also, do your part! Help small businesses!
stocking (and stomach) stuffer!
How FUCKING SWEEET is this!!!